Thursday 11 March 2010

1. Learning about lying fallow



Amy has a project about learning. I want to join in, to go for the ride. Today, I learnt that part of making art is having the time to breath, drift, do nothing, drink coffee and listen to 18 year old French kids laugh, drink coke and gossip about Spanish teachers who swear. Henry Miller called this lying fallow. 'The plowing or tilling of land, without sowing it for a season; as, summer fallow, properly conducted, has ever been found a sure method of destroying weeds.' You plough the land then leave it empty, unsowed, rested. Who knows what can happen next?

2 comments:

redredday said...

yess.
just have to squash the fear of: what if nothing happens

lasuza said...

I know, but this is my bright star, or my haunting shadow: knowing when to stop making, doing, trusting in an empty space